Case Studies - NHS Trust
The L& D Team had been reviewing the Human Resources & Learning and Development Strategy. The Strategies aim to deliver both the capacity and capability of the organisation and its constituent groups, teams and each individual to enable the Trust to achieve its mission.
The areas that our training interventions are proposing to support are:
- Creating and supporting the best quality of leadership working in partnership, including stakeholders
- Development of staff and others who work with the Trust to make their best possible contribution
- Development of a balanced and effective performance management process
Managers at all levels were being supported and encouraged to become leaders and enablers who coach, (as well as demand) high standards of service. Adoption of an excellence model of healthcare quality will help to achieve this.
In order to support these learning & skills strategies, we proposed to deliver a range of Communication / Customer-based programmes to enhance the current skills base.
The programmes requested were as follows:
- Communication Skills - one day course for Medicom, EMCC and Schedulers
- Effective Patient Communications and Relationships - one day course for Patient Services
- Assertiveness - one day course for Emergency Control including Supervisors, Despatch and Call Takers
- Conflict Resolution and Dealing with Challenging People - one day course for Patient Services
- Achieving Outstanding Customer Care - 3 one-hour sessions for Medical Care - (including Nurses, GPs, Drivers)
The programmes were tailored specifically for the Trust, working in partnership with the L&D Team, Line Managers and Staff. Following the brief, core programmes were developed and adapted to suit the range of competencies required. Web-based pre-course questionnaires were developed with the client to provide an interactive medium for the delegate group and line managers to have input into the programme content and to identify areas of personal development and post programme evaluation with individuals.
Delivery completed by the Oak Tree Training Team, with blended coaching support from the L&D Team within the Trust. Evaluation was completed internally by the L&D Team, tracked, and then trended by Oak Tree for evaluation and feedback. Regular meetings occurred to review the programme roll-out incorporating initiatives as introduced. We also utilised these meetings to review alternative methods of transferring the learning and monitoring performance of individuals following the training. This was offered via the web and internal support process created for individuals requiring additional coaching.