By the end of the course, delegates will have:
- Identify the scope of the line manager’s employment law and HR roles and responsibilities.
- Have the insight to professionally deal with personal issues that affect your staff.
- Understand how the current legal framework impacts upon the line manager’s role.
- Identify how to avoid legal pitfalls and costs by having an up-to-date awareness of employment law.
- Identify authorised and unauthorised absence.
- Understand how to deal effectively with grievances and discipline issues.
The Line Managers Role and Responsibilities of Employment Law and HR Issues
Defining your roles and responsibilities – your current strengths and development areas in relation to your HR role
The scope and depth of the line manager’s employment law and HR duties
What are your Legal Responsibilities?
Identifying the current employment legislation (Including sex, race, age and disability acts. Awareness of Health and Safety at work and the data protection acts)
Understanding discrimination –
positive, direct and indirect. Bullying and Harassment Applying equal opportunities and fairness in the workplace
Effective Absence Management
Identifying what is authorised and unauthorised absence (Including looking at long-term sick leave) and practical solutions on how to deal with absence issues.
Latest legislation and its effect on you – e.g. parental leave, domestic leave, maternity leave, etc
Handling Discipline and Grievances at Work
Defining what is a grievance?
How to handle and resolve grievances positively
Discipline procedures – identifying when and where action is necessary
Dealing with poor performance
Understanding how to terminate employment and when to seek the help of a specialist
Personal Development Action Plans
Course Duration: One Day