The NEBOSH Health and Safety at Work Award covers the principles of health and safety, the identification and management of related risk and the practical application of this knowledge. This is reflected in the two units that comprise the qualification.
Unit HSW1 Workplace safety foundations
- The foundations of health and safety
- The responsibility for health and safety
- Health and safety risk assessment and control
- Hazards and controls associated with work equipment
- Transport safety
- Hazards and controls associated with electricity
- Fire safety
- Hazards and controls associated with manual handling and repetitive movement
- Hazards and controls associated with hazardous substances
- Hazards and controls associated with the working environment
Unit HSW2 Workplace risk assessment
- A workplace-based risk assessment activity that covers the application of understanding related to the HSW1 unit.
Delegates will receive a copy of the course book designed by NEBOSH which matches the syllabus and is written in plain English. Each section is supported by sample questions and activities.
To support delivery of the course a hand-out is provided for additional notes and directed study exercises.
Laid out as per our course sheets – bold section header and then single line spacing underneath each heading, line space between each group
The qualification is divided into two assessed units, each of which is assessed separately. Assessment is by one multiple choice examination (Unit HSW1) and a work-based risk assessment (Unit HSW2), which tests the ability to apply the knowledge gained during the course to workplace situations. A qualification certificate will be awarded on successful completion of both assessments.
Examinations take place at the end of the course and the risk assessment is completed shortly afterwards. Examinations for in-house courses can be arranged with NEBOSH on demand, for a date to suit the learning programme.
The NEBOSH Health and Safety at Work Award is an international qualification, so the multiple choice assessment is available by prior arrangement in English, Arabic, Mandarin and Russian. Other languages may be possible, subject to NEBOSH agreement.
Course Duration: Three Days